Original Date: September 27, 1995
Revised Date: July 25, 2021
Sunset Review Date: July 31, 2025
Approved by: Jody Becker, Deputy Secretary
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance about reviewing and approving reimbursement when caregivers submit the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 form for transportation expenses for a child or youth in their care. This does not include reimbursing caregivers for activities that are part of typical parenting or age or developmentally appropriate activities.
This policy applies to child welfare (CW) and Financial and Business Services Division (FBSD) fiduciary employees.
RCW 47.04.280 Transportation system policy goals.
RCW 47.06.020 Role of department.
- CW employees must adhere to the following when approving and documenting transportation expenses:
- The Client Travel Approval Quick Reference Guide DCYF 07-085 publication.
- Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) Administrative 1.07.02 policy.
- Caseworkers must verify the following when receiving caregiver’s reimbursement requests for transportation expenses:
- Other resources were considered, per the Approving Client Travel and Transportation Activities policy.
- Transportation expenses are consistent with the case plan and either:
- Supports a permanent plan.
- Directly prevents out-of-home placement and is not payable from another source.
- The caregiver’s travel met the requirements in this policy.
When approving reimbursement:
- CW employees must only approve reimbursements that meets the child or youth’s need for safety, stability, education or other unique needs.
- Caseworkers must:
- Review and verify the caregiver's explanation and purpose for each trip.
- Determine what transportation expenses are reimbursable, per the:
- Approving Caregiver Travel and Transportation Activities policy.
- DCYF Administrative 1.07.02 policies.
- Activities listed on the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 form. This includes mileage, meals, tolls and parking reimbursement when these are part of the caregiver transporting children or youth.
- Review the date of submission. Transportation reimbursements submitted after the timeframes identified in the DCYF Administrative 1.07.02 policy must be approved by the area administrator (AA).
- Document in the “office use only” box, the number that matches the explanation the caregiver provided on the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement 07-090 form.
- Sign the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 form if approved. If not approved:
- Contact the caregiver by email or phone and discuss questions or reasons for denying any of the reimbursement request.
- Refer caregivers to the caseworker’s supervisor if there is a disagreement about denied reimbursement requests.
- Obtain the following signed approvals on the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 form from the:
- Supervisor for reimbursements that exceed $200.
- AA for reimbursements that exceed $300 or more.
- Regional business manager for reimbursement totals that exceed $500 or more.
- Submit the approved Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 form to their fiduciary employee.
- FBSD fiduciary employees must process the Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090 for payment and upload into FamLink.
Caregiver Monthly Transportation Reimbursement DCYF 07-090
Approving Client Travel and Transportation Activities policy
Client Travel Approval Quick Reference Guide DCYF 07-085 publication
DCYF Administrative 1.07.02 Travel policy (located on the DCYF intranet)