The DCYF Government Affairs (GA) team works with agency leadership, staff, and community partners to advance agency priorities, building on the framework of our Strategic and Racial Equity Plan.
The GA team also manages inter-agency and cross-agency relationships to assist in implementing legislation and to help remove barriers that prevent program staff from meeting program goals. The team provides tools and support to divisions and programs for developing and accomplishing policy ideas to achieve positive outcomes and to advance equity for children, youth, and families.
DCYF Agency Request Legislation
The GA team works closely with DCYF program staff and leadership to develop Agency Request Legislation (bills requested by an agency) that we submit to the Governor’s Office for approval. If approved, this request legislation can be introduced during the legislative session by a lawmaker, and will ideally lead to policy improvements in serving Washington’s children, youth, and families.
DCYF 2023 Agency Request Legislation
- DCYF has submitted Agency Request Legislation for the 2023 Legislative Session related to the Relative Guardianship Assistance Program and Background Check and Licensing Fees and Schedules. Please check back for fact sheets about these legislative proposals.
DCYF 2022 Supplemental Agency Request Legislation
- In the 2022 Supplemental Session, DCYF Agency Request Legislation repealing the Parent Pay Statute (RCW 13.40.220) was enacted.
DCYF and the State Budget
The GA team works closely with DCYF program staff and the DCYF Fiscal Division to develop budget requests (called Decision Packages) that ensure adequate funding for all of our program areas, as well as advance agency goals of better serving children, youth, and families. These budget requests are submitted to the Governor every fall for inclusion in his biennial or supplemental state budget proposal. You can view other agency decision packages at the Office of Financial Management’s website.
DCYF 2023 Budget Requests
Please check back for fact sheets about the following proposals:
- Combined In Home and Transition Services
- Placement Supports for Caregivers
- Family Time
- D.S. Compliance
- Licensed Kinship Placements
- JR Community Capacity Expansion
- JR Improving Educational Outcomes
- Housing Access and Supports
- Making Child Care work for Families
- Supporting Providers to Increase Child Care Access
- WCCC Rate Increases
- Preparing for ECEAP Entitlement
- Early Learning Facilities Fund Grant Program
- Culturally Relevant Language Access Program
DCYF 2022 Supplemental Budget Requests
DCYF's Supplemental Budget requests were funded in the 2022 Legislative Session.
2022 DCYF Decision Packages and Agency Request Legislation Overview
Indian Child Welfare Act
Kinship Caregiver Engagement Unit
Combined In-home Services
ECEAP Converted Slots and Program Supports
Family Time Rates
DCYF 2021-2023 Biennial Budget Requests
The enacted 2021-2023 biennial budget for the state of Washington is on the Office of Financial Management website. Information about DCYF’s operating budget begins on page 275 with Section 226 of the budget bill.
About the Washington State Budget
Washington State has a two-year (or biennial) budget. During odd years the legislature enacts the biennial budget, and during even years they amend that budget through a supplemental budget. The Washington State fiscal year begins on July 1. DCYF’s work is funded with state, federal, and private dollars. Learn more:
- Legislative Evaluation & Accountability Program Committee (LEAP) - select "Citizen’s Guide to the Budget." You can also find proposed and final state budgets.
- Office of Financial Management (OFM) has information about Gov. Jay Inslee’s budget priorities.
Updates and Webinars
To inform partners and stakeholders of developments during the legislative process, the GA team holds regular webinars and meetings to share information on proposed and enacted legislation and budget provisos related to the work of DCYF. View past updates:
March 23, 2022
End-of-Session Budget and Policy Update
February 25, 2022
Mid-Session Supplemental Budget Update
January 6, 2022
Governor’s Budget and Supplemental Session Update
October 1, 2021
Budget and Policy Submitted Proposals Webinar
December 9, 2019
Vendor Reimbursement Rate Increase Process Webinar
October, 11, 2019
DCYF Legislative Update Webinar
August 9, 2019
DCYF Legislative Update Webinar
May 10, 2019
DCYF 2019 Legislative Session Recap
April 5, 2019
DCYF Stakeholder Legislative Update