Working Connections Child Care Rights & Responsibilities

When you receive Working Connections Child Care (WCCC) benefits, you should receive a copy of your legal rights and responsibilities. If you have questions, call the Child Care Subsidy Contact Center at 1-844-626-8687.

Your basic rights and responsibilities are also outlined below:

Your Rights

When you apply for or receive WCCC, you have the right to:

  • Be treated politely and fairly.
  • Be free from discrimination.
  • Be told if you qualify for benefits within 30 days of applying.
  • Be informed of your legal rights and responsibilities related to WCCC benefits.
  • Receive written notice within 10 days of DCYF reducing or stopping benefits, except:
    • When you tell DCYF you no longer want WCCC;
    • You haven’t told DCYF your new mailing address; or
    • If DCYF determines your provider to be ineligible.
  • Ask a supervisor to review a decision about your benefits.
  • Ask for an administrative hearing if you disagree with a decision about your benefits.
  • Get free interpretation or translation services.
  • Choose a provider who meets the requirements in WAC 110-15-0125.
  • Terminate child care at any time.
  • Access your child at all times while he or she is in child care.
  • Receive the same level of care from your provider if you don’t want your child to attend a field trip that costs more than the maximum state reimbursement.
  • When authorized with a provider, not be charged the difference between:
    • Your exempt provider’s private-pay hourly rate and the maximum state subsidy rate for child care services.
    • Your licensed provider’s private-pay daily rate and the maximum state subsidy rate for child care services, registration fees, or field trip fees.
  • Not be charged by a licensed provider for:
    • Days your child is absent.
    • Days your provider is closed.
    • Handling fees to process payments or paperwork.
    • Fees for materials, supplies or equipment needed to meet licensing requirements.
    • Costs to cover billing disputes between your provider and the state.

Your Responsibilities

  • Give DCYF your current, accurate information, such as your address, telephone number, family size, income, child citizenship or legal residency status, and information about where you work, go to school, or get job training when you apply for benefits.
  • Report increases in income that put your household over 85 percent of the state median income (as detailed on your award letter) within 10 days.
  • Notify DCYF when moving out of state within 10 days.
  • Tell DCYF within five days if you change your child care provider.
  • Sign the children in and out daily using the provider’s DCYF-approved method.
  • Pay your monthly copayment to your provider directly, or make arrangements with a third party to pay your provider.
  • Pay your provider for child care you use that exceeds the amount authorized.

Extra Responsibilities with Licensed Care

You are responsible to pay your licensed provider for the following fees if they have a written policy charging all parents:

  • Non-sufficient funds (NSF) fees.
  • Picking up your child after operating hours.
  • Paying your child care copayment late.

You are also responsible to pay your licensed provider for these services when you request them, and if the provider has a written policy in place charging all families for these services:

  • Optional meal programs for your child.
  • Transportation to and from school or activities.
  • Optional programs such as music lessons, gymnastics, swimming.
  • Field trip costs in excess of the allowed state reimbursement. (Note: Licensed family homes may bill the state up to $30 per month per child.  Licensed child care centers are not eligible to bill the state for a field trip reimbursement.)

Extra Responsibilities with Exempt Care

When you choose a child care provider that is exempt from licensing, you have extra responsibilities. The provider you choose must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Be a citizen or a legal resident of the United States.
  • Pass the DCYF background check. If care is provided in the provider’s home, then anyone older than 16 living in the home must also pass a background check.
  • Be physically and mentally healthy enough to meet all the needs of the child in care.
  • Not be the child’s biological parent, step-parent, adoptive parent, legal guardian, in-loco parentis, or the spouse of any of these individuals.
  • Meet the health and safety requirements in WAC 110-16-0025, 110-16-0030, and 110-16-0035 if not related to the child.

You must also tell DCYF within 24 hours any known or pending charges or criminal convictions against the exempt provider.