Juvenile Rehabilitation (JR) is exercising universal precautions as outlined by the Department of Health (DOH) to ensure the overall health and wellbeing of youth, family members and staff in response to COVID-19.
Parents and Guardians of Youth
DCYF JR Instituions, Community Facilities, and Parole Services have communicated with all parents/guardians of youth regarding newly implemented COVID-19 procedures and the safety of their children. The procedures are informed by the science of how to respond to infectious disease in congregate care settings and in the community and are built into our infectious disease protocols, continuity of operations plans and emergency operations/disaster response preparations. Additionally, best practices and standards are shared among all state agencies that run 24/7 facilities.
After careful planning and consideration, Juvenile Rehabilitation facilities are now allowing parents, guardians and primary family members to visit youth with restrictions.
- Visits will take place in covered outdoor areas with one or two family members per resident.
- All staff, residents and visitors will adhere to the Department of Health (DOH) safety protocols.
- Visiting areas will be cleaned and sanitized between each visit.
- Changes to visitation may occur based on facility health and safety needs.
- If the program is under quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19 exposure or symptoms, all scheduled family visitation will be canceled until it is safe to resume.
Family visiting schedules differ at each facility. For schedule information, please contact individual facilities.
Pre-Screening and Prevention Protocol
- DCYF is requiring all staff, family visitors, guests, contractors and vendors entering JR 24/7 facilities to be pre-screened for COVID-19 symptoms.
- We are asking staff, family visitors, guests, vendors and contractors if they have been exposed to anyone showing symptoms before allowing them entrance.
- We are asking family visitors to conduct a self-screening before arrival in addition to the screening they will receive on-site.
- Appropriate personal protective equipment must be worn by staff, residents and all visitors during visitation.
- Due to the risk of exposure, no physical contact is allowed during visitation and only two visitors are allowed per guest, per day.
- We are requiring all staff, residents and contractors to wash their hands upon entering JR facilities.
- We are routinely disinfecting facilities with specific attention to high contact areas.
- We are making appropriate referrals to community medical providers.
- We are instructing all residents to inform staff immediately if they are not feeling well.
- If anyone does become ill, a medical provider will be consulted immediately for further instructions.