Frequently Asked Questions

How do I determine my assigned adoption support program consultant?

Your assigned adoption support program consultant will be listed on your Adoption Support Agreement. Please see the Contact page for a list of consultants and program contact information. Please contact the Adoption Support Supervisor or the Adoption Support Program Manager for further assistance.

What do I need to do if I move?

Please report any address changes to your assigned adoption support program consultant as soon as possible, as this can impact your payments and Medicaid coverage. All requests must be made in writing. Please see Requesting a Change page for further information.

What do I do if I do not receive my payment?

Adoption support payments are not forwarded by the post office, so if you have moved, please report your address change as soon as possible. Please see Requesting a Change page for further information on this process. Please contact your assigned adoption support program consultant to resolve issues regarding missing, lost, or stolen checks.

Adoption Support Payments should be received between the 25th and 31st of each month. Please note that adoption support payments that would typically come at the end of June (for the month of July) will be late due to the end of the fiscal year. The payment will not be issued until Jul. 1 at the earliest. There could also be additional delays due to the July 4th federal holiday.

Can I receive direct deposit?

Yes, we encourage all families to set up direct deposit if possible. If you have questions about these forms or the process, please contact your assigned adoption support program consultant. Please continue to report any address changes to adoption support, even if you have direct deposit.

How do I change the bank account for my direct deposit?

To immediately stop direct deposit, please contact SSPS (Social Service Payment System) at (360) 664-6161. To update any other direct deposit information please follow these directions.

How do I request a change to my adoption support?

If there has been a change to your child's needs or family circumstances you may request a review of your adoption support agreement. Please see the Requesting a Change page for further information.

How do I request records or documents related to my child?

For all questions regarding public records requests, please contact DCYF Public Disclosure at 360-407-5520 or .

Can my child receive both SSI disability and an adoption support payment?

Both SSI disability and adoption support are funded through Title IV-E of the Social Security Act. Adoption support payments must be reported to SSI at the time of application and the amount of your adoption support will be deducted from any monthly disability payment your child may be eligible for.

Can I still receive adoption support services if my child is turning 18?

Please see the Youth Turning 18 page for further information on extending past 18 years of age. 

Can my child still receive adoption support services if they are in college?

Unless your child was adopted after their 16th birthday and qualified for the extended adoption support program, all adoption support benefits including Medicaid coverage, payments, and/or counseling services will end when they are 18 years old and have graduated high school.

What if my child has special needs past the age of 18, but is not still in full-time high school?

If your child is over 18 and does not qualify for an extension of the adoption support program, but has disabilities preventing them from working; we encourage families to apply for SSI disability as a disabled adult. You may also want to explore services available through DVR or DDA.

Why did adoption support stop at age 21, for my special needs child who is still in high school?

Under no circumstances can adoption support be extended past a youth's 21st birthday.

Will adoption support pay for my child to enter private residential treatment?

No, adoption support cannot pay for residential treatment. Please check with your Medicaid provider to determine mental health services or treatment options that can be provided directly through Medicaid. Please see the Resources page or Families in Crisis page for further information.

Am I required to report to adoption support if my child is no longer living in my home?

Yes, you should report any changes to where your child is living to your adoption support program consultant within 30 days. This could include, but is not limited to, your child running away; residing in an inpatient treatment program; living with a family friend or relative; or being incarcerated.