Frequently Asked Questions

If your client was previously with JRA (now the Department of Children, Youth, and Families) for a juvenile commitment, records may be obtained by contacting the DCYF Public Records Officer.  We can only provide juvenile records pertaining to the youth’s stay with us.

If you are seeking a comprehensive record of juvenile court actions, you must contact the applicable juvenile court to make an inquiry.

These types of questions can be answered if the communication comes through a verifiable email address, or if it is received in the mail on official stationary.

We are sorry, but no. Juvenile Rehabilitation does not take private referrals. We serve youth who are committed to us by the county juvenile courts. Youth are only eligible to come to Juvenile Rehabilitation if they have a sentence of more than 30 days.

No. These programs were popular in some communities for a while, but research has shown that they did not have a positive effect on youth, and in some cases they cause more harm than good.

Yes. However there are some restrictions. Juvenile Rehabilitation will never share identifying information about any of our clients. Any research findings must be reviewed and approved by our research department prior to publication. Juvenile Rehabilitation will not permit the publication of data that is used in misleading or flawed research.

Youth in residence at a Juvenile Rehabilitation facility will be enrolled in a regular school program. Some of our facilities have a public school located on campus, and others send youth to a public school in the community. Students earn regular school credits while attending school in these settings. If a youth has enough credits to graduate, they may graduate from the school they are attending while with us, or they may transfer those credits to their home school and graduate with their peers. Some of the schools within Juvenile Rehabilitation use only the state standards for graduation requirements, which may make achieving a diploma faster than if the student were in a district that had additional requirements for graduation.

You may forward a copy of the applicable order to our Public Records Manager.

Department of Children, Youth, and Families
Records Officer
PO Box 40982
Olympia, WA  98504

Juvenile Rehabilitation does all of their hiring through Simply click “Look for Jobs” and then search for “Juvenile Rehabilitation”. Or simply filter the list by Department, and select Department of Children, Youth, and Families.

Juvenile Rehabilitation welcomes student interns who are seeking to develop their skills and abilities for working with youth. A recommended first step is to call or write to the residential facility or the regional office closest to where you hope to work.

These types of questions can be answered if the communication comes through a verifiable email address, or if it is received in the mail on official stationary.

Facility placement is determined by an assessment process that looks at age, gender, and risk level. All females and younger males are admitted to Echo Glen Children’s Center. Youth who do not have a history of problems in detention that may require an Intensive Management Unit (IMU) are admitted to Naselle Youth Camp if space is available. All other youth are admitted to Green Hill School.

Juvenile Rehabilitation can serve youth who have committed a juvenile offense until their 21st birthday. The only clients who are transferred to adult corrections are those who were tried and convicted as adults. There is no transfer to adult corrections for disciplinary purposes if the youth does not have an adult conviction.

Yes. Family communication is encouraged. In these cases the communication will be arranged by the youth’s counselor and will occur in a manner that meets the communication policies of both facilities.